Monday, April 25, 2005

Shaving

This morning as I was showering I was thinking about how much I hate shaving. Sure I like how it feels and how it looks after you are done shaving, but the process is what I hate. It is a very annoying process to me. I received some new products for Christmas that have made shaving not as bad, but I still am not a fan of it. The red bumps that I used to get on my neck from shaving are no longer happening thanks to the new product so that is a good thing, but I still prefer not to shave that often. In fact I am in desperate need of a shave right now. It is a good thing that I work in a relaxed work atmosphere. I just could not bring myself to do it this morning.

There are a few things I'd like to discuss when it comes to shaving...

1. Shaving in a mirror while in the shower--I must say I have tried this and I just don't like it. First of all I just feel as if I can see better outside of the shower. Secondly, I have never seen a mirror that really doesn't fog up in the shower. If you are one of the people that do this, please explain yourself.

2. Shaving products and the razor you use--Products are a must. I personally think you should use more than the ordinary shaving cream. I use a facial wash, then I use a pre-shaving oil that helps the razor glide, I then use a shaving cream, followed by a post shave lotion that prevents razor bumps. The brand of product I use is Anthony Logistics and I highly recommend it to everyone. I no longer get the irritating bumps and razor burn on my neck that I used to get. As for razors I use the Mach 3. There is not a better razor.
www.thegroominglounge.com

3. Bumps--I would like to know how many people deal with the irritating shaving bumps and razor burn. What are some of your secrets to a close shave and to a non-irritating shave?

4. Grain or Against the Grain--I shave with the grain. However, I know many people that believe they get a closer and better shave going against the grain. What are your thoughts? I know some people try to stretch their skin tight to get a closer shave, however this is not recommended.

Well that is it. I have given us some discussion points. Feel free to comment or add any questions that pertain to the topic of shaving. Girls, I would love to hear from you as well. I can't imagine shaving legs everyday or the other places you may or may not shave. Ladies, do you like a man with a clean shave? 5:00 shadow? lots of facial hair? Talk to me.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I shave in the shower without a mirror. There is no better way to protect your skin than to shave while your skin is warm and soft. As soon as a step out of the shower, my skin begins to rebel against the razor.

I use the Mach 3, with regular blades. The turbo blades are really nice, but I'm not sure they are worth the extra money. I'd rather save the money and change my blades more often (every 10 days or so).

I ordinarily use Nivea shaving cream, but I sometimes use Clinique for Men. For aftershave I use Occitaine After Shave Balm, (and I highly recommend it). I used to not use any aftershave at all.

Anonymous said...

I DRY SHAVE LIKE A MAN

Pablo Honey said...

No one has brought up the secret weapon to a great shave… the hot towel! You've got to prep the beard before you shave. A properly prepped beard, a sharp blade, and modern shaving gel are the keys to a good shave

Run the hot water until it is as hot as you can comfortably handle. Then put a hand towel under the faucet, soaking it thoroughly. Wring the towel out so that it is not running water everywhere. Drape the hot towel over your neck, wrapping the ends of the towel up and around your face-to-be-shaved. Make sure that you are covering everything that your razor is about to touch.

Once the towel cools significantly, heat it back up using the same technique, and then put it on again. After the second towel cools, immediately apply the lather of choice (I use Neutrogena's Razor Defense gel), and start shaving with a razor that has been used no more than once before. Shaving against the grain requires a sharp blade and stubble that has been softened by the hot towel and the razor gel.

After a hot shower is the best time to shave. A 10-minute hot shower is the best prep for a shave, and in Hags case, a single hot towel applied after stepping out of the shower will keep things real until you’re in front of the mirror, blade in hand. This works whether you are using a straight razor or a Mach 3.

If you can’t afford the 15 minutes this takes, either grow a beard or get an electric razor. However, without a razorblade in your life, you can count on most of the women on this planet not wanting to come in contact with your scratchy mug.

Darcey said...

Hmmm.. wandered over her from AMG's blog comments and figured I'd throw in my two cents as a female reader.

First, a question - which Anthony product to you use for fewer bumps? I'm always looking out for new recommendations, and my ex fell in love with their hand lotion I bought him.

As far as my personal male-shaving practices, I don't mind the 5 o'clock shadow, even when it comes to kissing. And on certain males, particularly those who have a younger face, the tiniest bit of shag helps to make them appear more rugged, which in my humble opinion, is rather attractive.

Feel free to wander over to my blog anytime! nfhndarcey.blogspot.com

Robert said...

I use the Mach 3 also. It's the only multi-blade shaver I ever liked. All the others, the blades were too close and hair got stuck in between. If I didn't have that, I'd ;use the Bic disposables. I almost never change the blades (sometimes 6 months between blade changes).

I had a shaving cream warmer that worked really well for about 6 months then crapped out. I loved it while it worked. I didn't have to wet my face before using it.

I shave after my shower. I use Nivea wash and am trying Neutragina prewash. For an afterlotion I'm using Nivea Menthol. I'm also trying out some Gillette shaving gel (comes in a tube like the prewash stuff). It keeps the irritation down well but makes the hair stick on the blade again. It also doesn't foam like regular shaving cream.